Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Havanna, Cuba
MAIN RESEARCH PROJECTS:
· Isolation and genetic improvement of nitrogen-fixing bacteria associated with common beans and sugar cane (1987-1992).
· Antifungal resistance in transgenic plants (1993-2000).
· Fructan metabolism in endophytic, N2-fixing bacteria (1993-2010).
· Development of thermostable biocatalysts for complete sucrose hydrolysis (2010-2015).
· Recombinant production of dextranase for use in the sugar industry (2016 to 2019).
· Development of a novel biocatalyst for sucrose conversion into short-chain FOS (2010 to date).
· Engineering of fructosyltransferase enzymes for improved product profiles (2015 to date).